Glass plate photograph
Lick Observatory, University of California.
Transparencies of the Moon.
[Mount Hamilton, California, ca. 1896]
Photography Collection, Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Division of Art, Prints and Photographs, The New York Public Library
Gift of Prof. Edward S. Holden
The Lick Observatory
was founded through the bequest of millionaire and "generous miser"
James Lick (17961876). Built on Mount Hamilton, in the Diablo Range
east of San Jose, it was the first permanently occupied mountaintop observatory
in the world. One of the men involved with the project was Edward S. Holden,
President of the University of California at Berkeley from 1885 to 1888.
Holden presented this and another glass plate "transparency"
to the Library, along with a set of the Observatory Atlas of the Moon,
containing printed versions of many of the Lick photographs. The Lick
Observatory is now administered by the Santa Cruz campus of the University
of California, and is open daily for visitors.